WINDOWS 7 END OF LIFE (PART I) – Purchasing Extended Security Updates (ESU)
Mark your calendars for January 14, 2020. On that day, Microsoft will cease technical support for Windows 7, and will not update its security features thereafter.
However, any size business running Windows 7 Professional or Enterprise can now purchase Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 14, 2023 via the Cloud Solution Provider (CSP) program and Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
The updates are sold on a per-device basis and the price will increase each year. If an organization makes its first ESU purchase during year 2 or 3, it must also pay for the preceding years (since ESU security updates are cumulative).
CSP Licensing ESU
If you are a CSP partner, the following steps will enable you to purchase Windows 7 ESU for your customers:
- Visit the Partner Center.
- Select Add products > Select > Software, then filter the results to Type: Software Subscriptions, and Term: 1 year.
- Select Windows 7 Extended Security Updates from the Products list, indicate the quantity of Windows 7 ESU desired, select Add to cart, and complete the transaction.
Once the order is completed and processed, partners will see the keys appear in the Partner Center within the hour. The indirect reseller or end customer will see them in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center.
Each transaction for Windows 7 ESU licenses will generate a unique MAK key. If a customer purchases Windows 7 ESU at multiple points in time, CSP partners can see the full list of their transactions in the Partner Center (the customer can see MAK keys and associated licenses in their Microsoft 365 Admin Center).
Volume Licensing ESU
If you are Volume Licensing Service customer, the following steps will enable you to purchase Windows 7 ESU:
- Visit the Volume Licensing Service Center (https://www.microsoft.com/vlsc) and sign in.
- Select Licenses > Relationship Summary > Licensing ID > Product Keys.
Trusted Tech Team: A Microsoft Gold Partner
For more information about Windows 7 ESU, contact Trusted Tech Team for a free consultation. Our Licensing Engineers help you maximize your software subscriptions, and provide you the lowest costs available in the market.
Subscribe to the Trusted Tech Team Blog
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox