SQL Server 2019 security and performance features can make your prior database applications seem insignificant and outdated. Our in-house licensing expert recently shared some simple methods to successfully migrate and upgrade SQL from existing deployments. Our most recent Video Meetup (VMU), SQL 2019 Licensing Made Simple, fully addressed implementation from from a technological, licensing, and migration perspective, including:
- Logical reasons to transition to SQL 2019
- SQL 2019 licensing features and updates
- Version upgrade and migration best practices
Some of the more prominent new features for SQL 2019 include Big Data Clusters and Intelligent Query Processing. Importantly, SQL Linux support can eliminate OS (operating system) licensing cost via open source OS. Our specialist highlighted the importance of maintaining the SQL edition best suited to your needs, whether it be Express, Standard, Enterprise, or Developer.
SQL 2019 Licensing
SQL Server 2019 operates on two licensing models:
- CAL – available for SQL Standard. Contingent upon user numbers and cost, it’s licensing architecture is akin to a linear equation (y=mx+b) [Figure 1].
- Core – available for SQL Standard and Enterprise. Contingent upon licensing processing power, it is based upon the number of cores; and it’s licensure covers unlimited users.
A Step Further
Trusted Tech Team is increasingly becoming known as the go-to licensing specialist amongst online VARs (value-added resellers). We take things a step further by helping you evaluate your environment so you can make thorough and cost effective IT purchasing decisions. We are vested in your success and work with you from acquisition to implementation…and beyond.
Subscribe to the Trusted Tech Team Blog
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox